Saturday, October 4, 2008

On marketing your own book by Debra Sanders

Okay, I am going to switch over from politics now (not that I have given up my crusade--I haven't!) But I have this need to talk about this business of self-promotion that is so necessary in the marketing of one's book.

I DO NOT LIKE IT ONE LITTLE BIT!!!!!

I find it so uncomfortable that I find myself resisting and resisting doing the nine million things that must be done if one wants a book to sell. Even before the accident, this would not have been something comfortable for me. But now, it is not just uncomfortable, it is painful.

For one thing, since the accident I seem to have become an incredible introvert. Timid. Hesitant to even want to leave my house (even though every time I do, it feels great!). I hate this timidity in myself in general, but to promote one's book, diffidence and reticence are not qualities one can allow to bubble even close to the surface. You have to be strong, aggressive and filled with entrepreneurial energy.

I am none of these things.

The psychosocial/behavioral aspects of head injuries are way underestimated, I think! Or maybe the changes in me are not from the head injury itself. Maybe it's that the head injury has challenged my confidence and rendered me so unsure of my own perceptions that it is this that has resulted in my becoming the mostly house-bound person I currently seem to be. Now that would be an interesting study, wouldn't it? Is it the actual physical changes in the brain that have created this timid, inhibited person or is it that my confidence in myself is so eroded that it is this that has led to my timidity????

Either way, I do not enjoy the multitude of new things I am having to master in order to get Panache out of my house and into the public. I do not enjoy having to promote myself to others so that they can help promote the book (as in getting joint venture partners to sponsor me in an online campaign). I thought doing online campaigning would allow me to remain safely within my walls, but in fact, I am having to put myself out there just as much as if it were all face to face.

Wow. Interesting, isn't it? I want to get Panache out of the house and in the public eye, but I want to remain closeted. Well, THAT can't happen. Either we both go out or we both stay in.

Guess I will have to find my shoes. Or at least my bedroom slippers.

1 comment:

  1. Debra,

    I completely understand!!!! (I don't think I can put enough exclamation marks behind that sentence.) As a fellow "mild traumatic brain injury" (MTBI) survivor, I live in the same altered world that you do. Although I believe that every MTBI survivor’s world is unique, there are also many similarities. I have not become introverted, but my actions by necessity appear introverted. As time passes from our accident we begin to start at some level to recognize our limitations. We know when we have reached the point where we don’t have anything left to give.

    Getting out requires that we leave our cocoon of space that we can control and enter an environment where we can’t control our surroundings. This in and of itself provides all kinds of variables. Like if I get overwhelmed, how do I handle it? Where is my safe place to be? I have had my driving privileges revoked so I am always at the mercy of others to get out. And, then there are times my needs conflict with the needs of the driver etc. it can get nasty sometimes.

    I know that my abilities diminish with stress. I am sure it is the same with you as well. When I get overwhelmed sometimes I can’t speak, often I stutter, many times I react with anger (yelling, cussing, etc.) Obviously when trying to show others a professional front you don’t want to exhibit those types of behaviors. I know a lot more now about how much I can handle now than those early months after the accident. Then I didn’t know I was being overwhelmed. I would go from a seemingly nice person handling a problem in a rational manner to someone who was yelling and screaming and cussing someone out.

    I would bet that some of your trepidation stems from dealing with the unknown. The unknown audience online, in a store, it really doesn’t matter. All of those things are unknown. And like you, all of my post MTBI issues didn’t appear all at once. Sometimes it isn’t until I try new things that I realize that I have a problem in a certain area. I know it must be scary. I admire your courage in moving forward.

    I can hear it now. “Well, I don’t have a brain injury and I would feel out of my league marketing a book.” I won’t feed you that. I know how “helpful” those kinds of statements are from well meaning friends, relatives, acquaintances etc. Although this was not your previous profession, your pre-injury brain would have handled the challenge in a much different way than your post-injury brain. And, like you, it is not just intelligence that matters. You are certainly intelligent enough to be able to do it. It is only that wonderful intangible ability to make your body work together with your brain to accomplish the task!

    So know from one brain injured person to another … Do what you can, when you can within the limitations of your own body. If you let the stress rise too high, you will accomplish nothing but getting yourself into a situation that takes days or weeks to recover from.

    .M

    ReplyDelete