Thursday, February 26, 2009

Weird Facts, Selling Oneself and Speaking in Mexico, by Debra Sanders

I know all my blog fans (all six of you!) have been chomping at the bit to know how my debut in Denver turned out. I apologize for keeping you all on edge, but as most of you know, I had to be in Mexico for eight days for my debut in the workshop world. Yep, that's right. I was scheduled to be a workshop presenter for the first time since the accident. At the Fourth Annual San Miguel de Allende writers and literary conference. Todd Gitlin was a keynote speaker. Was I nervous about this?

Does a camel hold its water well?

Before I tell you about Mexico, let me tell you two quick things. First, did you know that it's illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while you're sitting on a curb in St. Louis? How about that for a strange fact! I mean, apparently in St. Louis, you can sit on a curb and drink beer out of a shoe or a boot...even out of a bottle. But drink it out of a bucket by God, and get ready to do some jail time.

Buckets of beer aside, the other thing I need to tell you about is Denver...just a quick update. How did I do? you all ask..well, lets just say I was never meant to be a business woman. Self promotion is NOT comfortable for me. It just isn't. I don't think people should have to pay to read what I wrote. If they read it and like it, let them donate to the Debra Sanders Save Her House Foundation (DSSHHF); and if not...well, let them pass the book on to someone who might like it.

So, uhm...okay, the truth is, I gave away more books than I sold in Denver.

Moving on...

In Mexico, I sold all the books I took to sell and only gave away two! Never mind that I only took ten and that I discounted them for students taking my workshops!

Speaking of Mexico, you know what? Mexico deserves a post all its own. Seeing as how in the blogging world posts are supposed to be kept short, I think I will end here with another strange fact and give you the update on Mexico in its own space. It's quite a story!

Weird fact #2: Just like fingerprints, everybody's tongue print is individual. Especially interesting about tongues is not so much that we wag ours as the fact that a giraffe has a 21 inch one and clean their own ears with it!

LOL. Glad to be back on US soil. Check back for the story on Mexico!

And, as always, remember that a little panache can go a long, long way!

Till the next one,

Debra
ps if anyone out there can clean their own ear with their own tongue, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment